Notable Russian Americans
Here are some of the Russian Americans famous for their contribution to American culture and science.
- Alina Smith – singer/songwriter.
- Winona Ryder – american actress.
- Olga Baclanova – actress.
- Natalie Portman – actress
- Joaquin Phoenix – actor.
- George Balanchine– dancer/choreographer.
- Mikhail Baryshnikov – dancer/actor.
- Jennifer Connelly – actress.
- Yul Brynner – hollywood star, ‘The King & I’, ‘The Magnificent Seven.
- Gwyneth Paltrow – actress.
- David Duchovny – actor.
- Vanessa Carlton – pop singer, songwriter, and pianist.
- Dmitry Chaplin – dancer.
- Helen Mirren – actress
- Oleg Cassini – fashion designer.
- Alexandra Danilova – ballerina & teacher.
- Michelle Trachtenberg – actress.
- Andre Eglevsky – ballet dancer & teacher.
- Edward Furlong – actor.
- Pamela Anderson – actress
- Anya Garnis – dancer.
- Josef Gingold (1909-1995) violinist.
- Alexander Godunov – ballet dancer and actor.
- Alexander Golitzen – 3 time Oscar award winner
- Milla Jovovich – model, actress and fashion designer.
- Theodore Kosloff – ballet dancer, choreographer, actor.
- Ivan Koumaev – dancer.
- Pavel Lychnikoff – actor.
- Debra Messing – actress.
- Larisa Oleynik – actress.
- Sergei Rachmaninoff – composer, pianist, and conductor.
- Olesya Rulin (1988 – ) actress (High School Musical).
- Faina Savich – dancer.
- Stanislav Savich – dancer.
- Nicole Scherzinger – member of The Pussycat Dolls.
- Ignat Solzhenitsyn – conductor and pianist, music director of the Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia.
- Regina Spektor – singer and pianist.
- Igor Stravinsky – composer.
- Genndy Tartakovsky – an Emmy Award-winning animator.
- Alexander Tcherepnin – pianist/composer.
- Michelle Trachtenberg – is an American television and film actress.
- Vladimir Ussachevsky – composer, tape recorder/live sound experiments.
- Walter Winchell – columnist.
- Sofia Vassilieva – actress.
- Natalie Wood – actress.
- Anton Yelchin (1989 – ) actor.
- Vladimir Zworykin – pioneer of television technology.
- James Franco – actor/model.
- Michael Chekhov – a Russian director, actor, actor trainer, and acting theorist, nephew of Anton Pavlovich Chekhov and student of Stanislavski.
- Wentworth Miller – Actor from Prison Break.
- Isaac Asimov – science fiction writer.
- Joseph Brodsky – Nobel Prize in Literature 1987.
- Sergei Dovlatov (1941-1990) – short story writer and novelist.
- Vladimir Nabokov – writer.
- Michael Rostovtzeff – writer.
- Gary Shteyngart (1972 – ) Russian-born writer.
- Alexei Tsvetkov (born 1947) – Russian and Englisch-language poet and writer.
- Soia Mentschikoff, first woman to teach at Harvard Law School, co-drafter of the Uniform Commercial Code.
- Alexander Procofieff de Seversky
- Alexander M. Poniatoff – Engineer, founder of Ampex.
- Selman Waksman – biochemist (Nobel Prize Winner in 1952)
- Lera Boroditsky – cognitive scientist.
- Wassily Leontief – economist, Nobel Prize 1973.
- Abraham Maslow, psychologist,
- Vladimir Nikolayevich Ipatieff – chemist.
- Sergei Khrushchev – professor & son of former Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev.
- Simon Ramo – physicist.
- Vladimir Rojansky – physicist, author, educator.
- Otto Struve – astrophysicist.
- Leon Theremin – physicist, inventor of Theremin.
- Igor Sikorsky – helicopter designer.
- Vladimir Kosma Zworykin – one of the inventors of television.
- Alexander Shulgin – Pharmacologist,MDMA researcher.
- Ivan Turchaninov – Union Army general during The Civil war
- Sue Bird – professional women’s basketball player.
- Anna Kournikova – Tennis Player.
- Nastia Liukin – gymnast.
- Denis Petukhov – figure skater.
- Sergei Raad – soccer player.
- Sasha Cohen – Figure Skater, Olympic Silver Medalist
- Maria Sharapova – Tennis Player, Former World no.1
- Tom Meschery– Former Professional NBA Player
- David Axelrod – National Political Advisor
- Sergey Brin – co-founder of Google. He was born in Moscow.
- Oleg Kalugin – former head of KGB operations in the United States.
- Boris Chaikovsky – founder of Tele-King International
- Peter Demens – founder of the city of Saint Petersburg, Florida.
- Alexis de Sakhnoffsky, industrial designer
- David Sarnoff – founded NBC & RCA
- Pitirim Sorokin – founded Harvard Sociology Dept 1930